Winter is quickly approaching. (For some people it’s already here!) Check out some of these cold weather tips to help you stay safe this winter:
Winter is Coming
Are you ready for the icy roads, extreme cold and loss of heat, power and communications that winter storms can bring?
A few thoughts on preparing:
- Check the antifreeze levels in your car.
- Keep a flashlight, extra batteries, a windshield scraper, a shovel, booster cables, water, snacks, hats and mittens in your vehicle.
- Insulate pipes in your home and allow faucets to drip a little during cold weather to avoid freezing.
- Learn how to shut off water valves (in case a pipe bursts).
- Keep fire extinguishers in your home, and make sure everyone knows how to use them.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms outside bedrooms and on each floor of your home.
- Have rock salt or an environmentally friendly alternative on hand to melt ice on walkways. Have sand to improve traction.
- Check out more good tips on what to do before, during and after winter storms and extreme cold.